Certification of documents

When you submit documents as part of your application to study with QUT Online you need to have them certified. A certified document is a copy of an original document that has been signed by an authorised witness, or provided to us digitally via ‘My eQuals’.

Who can certify my document?

If you are studying in Australia:

  • Police officers
  • Health professionals (pharmacist, doctor)
  • Lawyers
  • A teacher at a school or tertiary education institution

If you are studying with us outside of Australia:

  • Justice of the Peace
  • Notary public
  • Australian Consular Officer or Australian Diplomatic Officer (within the meaning of the Consular Fees Act 1955)
  • Employee of the Commonwealth or the Australian Trade Commission who works outside Australia.

How do I get a document certified?

Need to provide a certified document? Here’s what you need to do.

  • Make a copy of your document
  • Take the original document and the copy to an ‘eligible witness’
  • Ask the witness to sight the original document and verify it by signing the copy. The witness must write the following:
  • “This is a true copy of the original documents sighted by me”
  • sign and print their name
  • provide an address and contact telephone number
  • state their profession or occupation group
  • write on the copy the date certified
  • affix the official stamp or seal of the certifier’s organisation on the copy

*If the certifying officer is a Justice of The Peace, the certifying officer must list their registration number and state/territory of registration.

When applying to study a degree, you will need to provide:

  • Official transcripts from any previous Undergraduate or Postgraduate studies.
  • If studies are within 10 years, please provide certified copies.
  • Partially completed studies may be used as entry into a degree.